NAS540: Share external DVD drive in the LAN

NAS326, NAS520, NAS540, NAS542
Antworten
Sprocki

NAS540: Share external DVD drive in the LAN

Beitrag von Sprocki »

I would like to know if/how I can use an external USB DVD drive on the NAS540 to share data. My DVD drive needs two USB connectors for writing data to it, and my router only has one USB port, so I want to connect the drive to the NAS540 which has two spare USB sockets on the back. I want to share the drive over the network but when I connect it there, the web interface does not show me a new drive that it recognises for me to offer on the net. It also does not show up when I insert a disc with data, so it is not a thing of "disc or not".
Ideally I want to share the drive itself as a drive and not each single disc as separate volumes because in the latter case I have to change the settings all the time I insert a new disc which I want to avoid. Instead, I want to change the discs to e.g. rip my music CDs/DVDs to the NAS, play their music from a client in the LAN accessing the NAS or write an ISO image to it from any random client in the LAN but without removing a share and creating a new one (I am the only user in the LAN, so I always know which disc is in the drive).
How can I do so? Does the web interface offer any settings that I did not see? Can I mount it from the shell?

Mijzelf

Re: NAS540: Share external DVD drive in the LAN

Beitrag von Mijzelf »

Sprocki hat geschrieben:
Mi 6. Mai 2020, 21:57
Can I mount it from the shell?
Maybe. It boils down to drivers, kernel modules in Linux speak. I have packaged a bunch of kernel modules for the NAS5xx in zyxel-modules-3.2.54_1_armv7soft.ipk. Yet I don't know which are needed.
You can try plug the drive in your favourite desktop linux box, and run 'lsmod' before and afterwards. The difference are the modules which were loaded dynamically to support the drive.

Sprocki

Beitrag von Sprocki »

This is the diff:

Code: Alles auswählen

la2,3
> sr_mod	28672	0
> cdrom		77824	1	sr_mod

shv

Beitrag von shv »

Do you have a media player with an AmLogic S905/S922 processor? If so you could use CoreELEC with it and you could hook a optical drive to it. Possibly this is easier because everything you need is already contained in the firmware and you can use the remote control to rip CDs

Sprocki

Beitrag von Sprocki »

No, I don't have that. And ripping music CDs is only one of multiple use cases for sharing the drive.

Antworten